For Canadian Citizens:

Visas for Canadian and NAFTA Professional Workers

Did you know the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States and Canada? The TN nonimmigrant visa classification permits qualified Canadian citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level in prearranged business activities with U.S. based employers. Permanent residents of Canada are NOT able to apply for TN visas to work as NAFTA professionals.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (but not self-employment) and
  • You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.

If you are a Canadian, seeking to come to the U.S. to work and would like to discuss your situation, I can introduce you to an Immigration Lawyer in Colorado who’s from Canada and who can help you, please contact me.